Friday, August 5, 2011

A Wood Texture with Shiny!

One of my three courses at Gnomon is Texture Painting where I'm learning some awesome stuff.  Just a couple days ago my class teacher, Eric, showed us some incredible stuff in Maxon's Bodypaint 3D.  Needless to say, at the end, I was just blown away.  But anyway, a couple weeks ago we had an assignment to design a texture using Maya's shader nodes.  The key was we (the students) were to create the color, specular and bump map only using 3 texture images (for me - the wood base, a grunge layer and a Yamaha logo image) and the rest were Maya nodes.  I didn't think it was possible until Eric demo'ed it in class and this is some awesome stuff I tell you.

So again, I had a clean, wood texture as my base, brought in a secondary image which I used to add grunge onto the wood, and lastly throwing on a Yamaha "sticker" logo on the wood and breaking it up.  After the color was done, I went into creating the bump and specular maps which really made the texture look damn cool, after several tweaks of course.  After a quick critique, I followed Eric's advice and threw in an eccentricity map as well which really made the texture look even better.  A little more tweaking and here is what I managed to get done.

No comments:

Post a Comment