Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Mighty Dump Truck!

Time for another update!  The new term has begun and the first week of classes is over.  As a recap, this term I'm taking Perspective (since it's a prereq for Environment Design and I took it before but couldn't finish due to personal problems), Lighting and Rendering 1 and Hard Surface Modeling 2 with Max Dayan.  All cool classes. No homework in L&R just yet, we only really had an introduction level and a recap of the basics of lighting and rendering.  Perspective started off on the same stuff as before so I'm pretty familiar with all of it and eager to get going on the drawings.

Hard Surface Modeling 2 was...just wow!  Intense.  I am freakin excited about this class.  For the midterm we were able to choose any vehicle that exists in the present day or even any vehicle that used to exist in the past (aka viking ships) as long as it existed at one time or another.  After doing some research I was split between doing a Scania truck, my relative's truck (since I could then take all the reference images I wanted) or a Caterpillar Dump Truck.  I went with the dump truck.  Why?  Well, I wanted something that I know I can do and finish within the allotted time frame at my current skill level.  I felt that the dump truck would be nice.  I was tempted on the excavator, but eventually said, "nah, dump truck works for me."  After collecting all my reference images I got to work!

Today I started to block out the truck.  Now, here's something I noticed.  I think I went beyond the "block out" phase and added in more details in the various parts than I should have.  I probably should have just thrown in cubes and called it. But sometimes...my hands can tend to move without me thinking and because some details as relatively simple to get in, I just had to get them in.  The "block out" is due Thursday.  I have Mon-Wed with no classes to finish up.  Going to try to not get bogged down by details, but...no promises! 


This is actually a poor post since I didn't put in any lights or show any wireframes.  I'll do it tomorrow and post those pictures before continuing on with the block out phase. 

No comments:

Post a Comment